Thursday, June 16, 2011

Fervency

Last night a few teammates and I had dinner with a Christian chinese teacher. She teaches at a large muslim school and leads a Christian Fellowship there. Of the thousand students that attend that school, over 400 actively participate in CF. This is quite unbelievable for America... even more for Malaysia.

She told us her story over a delicious dinner of venison and rice. She grew up an active buddhist believer and decided to convert as a teenager after taking several years to count the cost. Now, a fifty-five year old, she fully believes in the saving power of Jesus Christ and her whole family has converted. In the middle of our conversation, she stopped and asked us if we were first generation Christians. When we told her that some of us were fifth or sixth generation Christians, she was amazed. Then she asked, "How do your second generation Christians remain fervent when they didn't have to fight for their faith?" I cannot get this question my of my head. How do we remain fervent in a faith that we received? This woman literally fights daily for the faith she confesses. She is persecuted and struggles to freely tell those around her about the Truth she so deeply believes. Yet, she asks us for help, advice, suggestions in encouraging her children to believe with that same fervency.

So as I struggle with this question myself, I ask you.... How do you as a second, third, fourth (and so on) generation Christian remain fervent in your faith received? 

2 comments:

  1. What a great question! Puts Americans in perspective

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a story-- I think at least part of the answer is found in ministry. I think of the UM line "love God. love people. change the world." Persecution challenges us in all those places, but most targetedly in the first and then the second. Once we are "free" (a loaded term) to love God post-persecution as 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. Christians, loving people and changing the world still hold an endless challenge that demands us to fight for fervency in faith ...if we're doing it well. I think about the experience I have at bsm, and I've never been more challenged. If your burdens are easy to carry, Chrst calls you to help carry the burdens of the poor, lonely, hurt, hungry, and marginalized. The road doesn't exactly get easier. There is still great adventure, challenges, and stories to be lived and fought for the 6th and 600th generations. The question is, will we follow Christ into them.

    ReplyDelete